Re: [edlug] Panda3D Software License - is this a free software license?

This afternoon, Sean Hammond wrote:
> They claim on their website (http://panda3d.org/) that Panda3D is free
> software, and the license looks fine to me, This section:
>
> "Licensor hereby grants to any person obtaining a copy of the
> Software a nonexclusive license to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
> distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
> permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, on an "AS
> IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or
> implied, subject to these terms and the License."
>
> seems to me to provide free software compliance, and I don't see
> anything elsewhere in the license that violates it. I've never had to
> assess a license before though, and I'm a little distrustful of
> Disney, so if anyone can point out that this short license is not in
> fact free software I'd appreciate the help:
>
> PANDA 3D SOFTWARE LICENSE AND DOWNLOAD TERMS

<snip>

> An electronic copy of the source code for all modifications
> made to the Software are to be forwarded to Licensor at
> panda3d-owner@xxx.xxx.xxx within 90 days of the date of the
> modifications.

This clause makes it non-free, unfortunately.  It fails the 'Desert
Island' test that provides guidence on the Gnu project's third freedom
and/or the DFSG/Open Source Definition's third criterion, that of
freedom to make derived works.  Specifically, the notice requirement
means that you are /not/ free to make derived works, there are extra
requirements to fulfill if you want to do so.

OK,
--
Andrew Aylett                   andrew@xxx.xxx.xxx | www.aylett.co.uk

1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight...
  -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!