Re: [edlug] Processor choice for Linux desktop

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 13:17 +0000, asmith9983@xxx.xxx.xxx wrote:
> I'm looking at buying a new desktopand wonder what be the best buy
> between a system with :
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo
> Intel P4 dual core
> or AMD dual core Athlon 64
>
> probably the fastest clock speed on each model
> 2Gb RAM
> SATA drives
>
> I'd want to run Ubuntu.
> The 64 bit AMD  would seem to have the best long life, but does the Core 2 Duo
> achitecture  give the snappiest performance?
> Any comments based on real experience with these or alternative configurations
> would be appreciated.  I might even go the extra mile with 4Gb RAM.

Hi Andrew,
I am a great AMD fan but one thing to consider is that if you go for an
Intel Processor you can also get the Intel chipset with decent
opensource graphics drivers. I would seriously consider getting an Intel
processor so I could also get the chipset which means decent graphics
out of the box.
Cheers
magi