To: "Al Bennett" <al@xxx.xxx.xxx>
Cc: "Edlug" <edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [edlug] Palm hotsyncing

Hello

AB It changes between ttyUSB0/1 and ttyUSB2/3 sometimes for no real reason.

AB I'd like it to appear in the same place each time, a symlink from
AB /dev/USB1 to /dev/pilot seems to be the setup most people have but as
AB it can move device between syncs that won't work.  I thought hotplug
AB sounded like the answer but it turns out it's not installed on this
AB Debian box, when I try to install it apt threatens to remove Gnome and
AB other important type stuff so I don't really want to do that.  Is this
AB something to do with udev?

Yes, udev is what you want to use. Plug the thing in and see which dev it
appears as. Then, using this dev (XXX), type in

udevinfo -a -p `udevinfo -q path -n /dev/XXX` | less

to get a whole lot of udev information. Near the top, you should get some
lines like these (for my rather generic USB key)

SYSFS{model}=="Flash Disk     "
SYSFS{vendor}=="USB 2.0 "

These identify the device. You then add a line to
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules so that the symlink gets set up when you
plug in the device. For my USB key above, I have this rule:

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="Flash Disk*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="key0"

which symlinks it to /dev/key0 whenever I plug it in. The * at the end of
Flash Disk* traps the extra spaces which the model string has.

You might need to type

udevcontrol reload_rules

to get your changes noted.

If you are on the command line a lot and don't want the desktop
environment to handle (u)mounting these devices, the udev and autofs is
very nice.

Swithun.