[edlug] Re: [Scottish] Re: Fwd: rpmdb: DB.LOCK

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:11:13AM +0000, Peter George wrote:
> Bizarrely not seeing my own posts hitting either list, or anyone's replies.
> :-(
>
> Anyway, fsck from Kmoppix on /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda3 show OK.
>
> QTparted shows;
>
> /dev/sda
> /dev/sda1  ext3 101Mb /boot
> /dev/sda2  linux-swap 508Mb
> /dev/sda3  ext3  *Mb /
>
> I'm going to try another FC6 install, testing the media this time.

Couple of quick things:

  1. Try going for the absolute minimum install and watch the logs
  carefully on the text console. Hopefully it will give you a more
  comprehensive version of the same error message. Then go to a shell
  prompt and start some manual rpm operations. What does it report?

  2. Make sure there isn't some basic problem between FC6 and your
  hardware. Boot the LiveCD. There's lots this won't tell you, but if it
  all works then that is a basic indication of reasonableness.
  http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/projects/live/

> What other disk testing/formatting tools can I try from Linux rescue
> disk or Knoppix?

The error you reported didn't obviously indicate failed hardware to me,
but there's a lot I don't know about rpm.

--
Dan Shearer
dan@xxx.xxx.xxx