Re: [edlug] Holyrood Tavern

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:07:32PM +0000, Faye Gibbins wrote:

>  Teeth and I are looking at alternatives right now. We'll let you know.
>
>  However if anyone has any suggestions please let us know.

Faye, you said you had a presentation room lined up from the University.
Perhaps it would be possible to lock that in, and leaving the choice of
watering holes a interesting debate for those who migrate there
afterwards? Scotlug in Glasgow do that to great effect, as do LUGs in
other countries I've seen.

>From comments I've heard the pub-only Edlug style has kept some people
away, which is why I thought your idea was a good one. Especially if
someone can be found to sponsor tea/coffee/bikkies at the venue which I
think will be pretty easy. I suspect that sort of an arrangement might
encourage more people to come forward with well thought-out talks; at
least, it seems to elsewhere.  One final advantage of this approach:
people can change where they migrate to afterwards without the venue
advertising having to be changed -- a more-or-less fixture really does
work at encouraging attendees and speakers.

Let us know what you work out!

Regards,

--
Dan Shearer