Re: [edlug] Holyrood Tavern

Dan Shearer wrote:
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:07:32PM +0000, Faye Gibbins wrote:

 Teeth and I are looking at alternatives right now. We'll let you know.

 However if anyone has any suggestions please let us know.

Faye, you said you had a presentation room lined up from the University.
Perhaps it would be possible to lock that in, and leaving the choice of
watering holes a interesting debate for those who migrate there
afterwards? Scotlug in Glasgow do that to great effect, as do LUGs in
other countries I've seen.

>From comments I've heard the pub-only Edlug style has kept some people
away, which is why I thought your idea was a good one. Especially if
someone can be found to sponsor tea/coffee/bikkies at the venue which I
think will be pretty easy. I suspect that sort of an arrangement might
encourage more people to come forward with well thought-out talks; at
least, it seems to elsewhere.  One final advantage of this approach:
people can change where they migrate to afterwards without the venue
advertising having to be changed -- a more-or-less fixture really does
work at encouraging attendees and speakers.

This isn't a bad plan at all. A presentation style meeting is much much more open to new members followed by  a visit to a pub somewhere, gives nice flexability and structure.

I'll even volunteer to do a talk and demo of openstreetmap  ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/ ) and some of the tools used to make and draw the maps.
Cheers
Chris - http://www.chrisfleming.org/