[edlug] [OT] Lcd TV or Lcd monitor

Hi guys,

Sorry for the off-topic but after quite a lot of research I am still
unable to decide on what should be the replacement of my current CRT
monitor.

It seems like certain LCD TVs are lowering prices quite a lot and
getting quite close to the cost of standard LCD monitors although they
seem to have rather unmatching specifications.
The main use of this device would be as a computer monitor but I would
also like to hook a playstation to it. Most recent models have
response times equal or below 16ms, and considering that the TV tuner
is built-in, there should be no lag between the actual game running
and the content being displayed.

The only drawback that I see about these LCD TVs is that their "native
resolution" is pretty low, around something like 800x600/1024x768  for
a 17'' and a even bit less for a 20'' (640x480).

What I am trying to find out, is if that resolution is equivalent to
the maximum one that the display can offer and if it could be somehow
be adapted to higher values, such as 1280X1024 (my current config in a
bog standard 19'' LCD) maintaining enough quality and definition for
normal computer use like reading text on screen.

Can anyone give me some hints/recommendations?

Thanks a lot,

Jaume