Re: [edlug] Taking a step back...

This is perhaps not what you want to hear but I would stick to the command line.

Like you, I've been running a debian setup for a while and at the start I wanted to do certain things that were beyond me, but I persevered and learned. My main problem was not Apache, which I found fairly straight forward, but exim. I have multiple domains which essentially mirror each other, a catch all mailbox and I wanted any mail sent to any one of numerous aliases of any of my users to go to them on any domain and anything else to my user. This setup taught me loads about how exim was setup and how it works, to the point of writing my own parts of the exim config rather than editing what was there.

My point being, if I found a web panel which was capable of doing what I wanted, I wouldn;t have needed to search for how to do it myself and wouldn't know as much as I do about exim.

The same should be true for any port of your setup from ftp (actually, use ssh instead) to apache and everything in between.

So, my advice, for what it's worth, is struggle through the complicated parts now and learn as much as you can about the inner working of the config files, as you said you were interested in.

It does get easier and not going the easy route of getting somebody elses utility to do the hard work will pay dividends in the end.

Good Luck.

Martin...

Rodti MacLeary wrote:

As I'm sure you're all quite (painfully) aware, I've got a new Debian dedicated server. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears with Linux, but I'm reasonably happy I know where things are, how to get around in the command line, and how to much about with .conf files. I'm determined to make this work because

a) I've got a Windows 2003 dedicated server
b) It costs me £80/month (ouch)
c) I've moved from Windows PCs to Macs at home, and now want nothing to do with Windows.

The real problem I'm finding with command line admin in Debian is that while I've worked out how to set up sites in Apache using httpd.conf, got a slightly ropey Postfix setup going, and resorted to PureFTPd when I couldn't get proftpd or vsftpd to work, it's just a complete hassle to set up something simple like a domain with one email and one FTP account.

I've looked at panels, but all the free ones look awful and I'm not keen on not knowing how they're configuring things. Can anyone point me to a 'recommended' combination of Apache, Postfix/Courier and FTP server setups that are generally regarded as both reliable _and_ reasonably easy to configure? I've seen lots of suggestions for each of these elements on howtoforge.com and similar sites but to be honest I have no idea which ones are any cop.

I know this is all a big ask, but any feedback appreciated :-) I've adopted a 'clean slate' policy and have re-imaged my server, ready to start afresh!

r.