[edlug] Push email server

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of an open-source or free push-email server?

I'm not sure how all this works, for instance, how does the server address the mobile device, via tcp/ip, sms, wap, etc? Is it something that can only be offered by a mobile phone network? Is there a standard for all this or is the Blackberry protocol a defacto standard?

I currently run a Postfix setup, which I'd like to keep, is there anything I can bolt-on to this for push-email?

The clients will be Nokia E61's it it makes any difference.

Peter