Re: [edlug] Re: EdLUG's new meeting place

Afternoon

I ventured over to ScotLug last night, and was impressed with the way they hold their meetings over there. A local pub gathering, then decamp to a professional venue for a talk, then back to the pub for light ale and networking.

I haven't added anything to the discussions about this so far, and sadly I won't be in town for the meeting next Thursday, but I thought I'd throw in my experience.

I moved up from Sussex last year and until then I attended the Sussex LUG meetings (Moots). We had a similar problem a couple of years ago, SLUG had always met in a pub (nice place, good food) which then went bust. The venue we finally moved into was sports/social club called the Holbrook Club. It's a bit run down but it does have beer and a free room at the back (we're not sure how we got it for free but they've never asked for money).

The feel of the meetings changed at that point as the LUG got a bit more organised, we started to hold talks (or "heckles" really) which has been a good development. It's brought people together a bit more, encouraged a lot of new people to come along and it's a nice way to see what people are up to. I've enjoyed having some technologies that I've been interested in but never got around to playing with explained and demonstrated. So far speakers have been limited to LUG members but there's now some activity in getting others along and starting some sort of interLUG speaker exchange.

I'm not really sure what my point is, except to say that this sort of arrangement can and does work well.

<tuppence>
For what it's worth, my vote would be to try the St Mary's Street venue (with a talk if arranged), followed by a pub and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, nothing's lost and we can try another place next month.
</tuppence>

Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter George" <peter@xxx.xxx.xxx>