Re: [edlug] [OT-hardware] networked disk enclosures

Lysimachos Zografos wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.

As far as I've understood a diy solution (old pc with lots of hard
drives and freenas) has roughly the same cost with a plug and play NAS
system. To be honest I'd like something that I wont have to
configure/manage. I also found the following combo appealing:

1 x Netgear SC101 Storage Central
2 x SEAGATE HARD DISK IDE 500GB UDMA 100 7200RPM 16MB OEM

~ 160 pounds for a Tera of NAS

which is near what I need (and covers some future use too)

Cheers,
L.

Two 500GB disks do not make a terabyte of RAID in any useful form. Both of the two common expansions of 'RAID' use the R for 'Redundant'. To comply with this, you should be looking at getting 3 500GB disks in a different enclosure device.

In fact, the SC101 web page itself states that both drives mirror each other, so you're just going to get 500GB of NAS. If you want non-redundant stuff, then the SC101 is fine. Just don't expect real RAID from it.

God know what clown let RAID0 be included in this 'redundant' system...

Regards

Kyle