Re: [edlug] Terminal Colours

Martin Fraser wrote:

Here is a little puzzle for you.

When I ssh into my debian server from anywhere I don't get colors on ls. I then su to root and from there to another user and I get the colour I should get.

Looks to me like ~/.bashrc is not being run by the ssh login.

This is more of an annoyance than a problem, just wondering if anyone knows what is causing this and how to fix it off the top of their heads because it is not important enough for me to spend much time on.

A login shell runs .bash_profile (or .bash_login if there's no .bash_profile) and any non-login shells run only .bashrc.

So unless your .bash_profile or .bash_login sources .bashrc then you're probably getting expecting behaviour for a login shell.

Angus
--
Angus G Rae                           Science & Engineering Support Team
3217 James Clerk Maxwell Building                University of Edinburgh