Re: [edlug] Linux Based Linksys Router (WRT54GL)

>I find everything runs fine for a while then DNS queries start to fail
>(time out I assume). I have no idea what causes that, but my ISP (Zen)
>tell me it's probably my router (Netgear DG843N).

You could try plugging in the settings from OpenDNS ( https://www.opendns.com/start) for your DNS resolution instead of the DNS settings from your ISP to see if that makes a difference.

Tahir

On 10/23/07, Dave Morriss <Dave.Morriss@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

Angus Rae said the following on 23/10/2007 15:45:
> Dave Morriss wrote:
>> Am I right in thinking this router requires an ADSL modem in addition?
>
> Yes, that's the case. You can either have an ADSL router or modem
> connecting as per normal with the WRT54G connected as a standard device
> off that router and acting as a router to everything else (essentially
> the same as if it was plugged into a cable modem) or you can put the
> ADSL router into bridge mode and have the ADSL connection negotiated by
> the WRT54G; I'm running in this particular mode.

Thanks for the clarification, but what do you mean by "bridge mode"
exactly? I'm thinking I could use my existing Netgear that way, but I
assume it wants to do the ISP login etc. Perhaps my concept of how this
all works isn't quite right, but it's not clear what to turn on or off
to achieve this.

> I'm using a Netgear of some sort which seems fairly reliable on the ADSL
> side, but many people find that reliability depends on the specific
> interactions between their line and the ADSL device. (And according to
> some recent reports it's possible that this is down to the AR7 chipset
> that many of them use - see
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/22/zen_ar7_infineon_bt_fault/ )

I find everything runs fine for a while then DNS queries start to fail
(time out I assume). I have no idea what causes that, but my ISP (Zen)
tell me it's probably my router (Netgear DG843N).

> In general I'm a fan of two boxes over one

This seems to be the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

Dave